What is the Massachusetts Driver’s License Application form?
The Massachusetts Driver’s License Application form or Form LIC 100, is a legal form issued by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). To legally drive in Massachusetts, the state requires new residents, first-time drivers, and non-US citizens to fill out this form to apply for a driver’s license.
Do I need permission from immigration officials to apply for a driver’s license?
You should have a green card and a social security number to apply for a driver’s license. You also can apply for a license if you have other identification from immigration officials and a social security card.
What is the difference between a learner’s permit and a driver’s license?
Everyone who wants to drive needs to apply first for a learner’s permit and pass a multiple-choice test. You can drive with a learner’s permit, but you always need to be with another driver who is at least 21 years old and has a driver’s license. Afterward, you have to take a driving test. If you pass the driving test, you will get a driver’s license with which you can drive alone.
When can I apply for a learner’s permit? And then when can I apply for a driver’s license?
When you are 16 years old, you can apply for a learner’s permit to drive with the help of a person who has their license. If you are between 16 ½ and 18 years old, you can apply for a driver’s license after practicing with your learner’s permit for six months and completing a driver’s education class.
If you are older than 18 years old, you still need to apply for and get a learner’s permit before you can apply for a driver’s license. But you can apply for a driver’s license immediately without practicing with a permit and without taking a class.
How to fill out the Massachusetts Driver’s License Application form?
A. Service Type
- Select the type that applies.
- Select the document to issue.
- Select the Learner’s Permit/License (if applicable).
- Select the service type.
B. Applicant Information
Provide all the information needed.
- Last, First, Middle, and Suffix
- If you’re getting a REAL ID, provide your full legal name.
- Current Massachusetts Learner’s Permit or Driver’s License Number (if applicable).
- Date of Birth
- What is your Social Security Number?
- If you do not have a Social Security Number, you will need an SSA Denial notice & Foreign Passport.
- Residential Address
- Where you actually reside
- Street Apt. Number City State Zip Code
- Mailing Address
- Select Phone Type
- Phone Number
- Emergency Contact Information: (optional)
- Select Phone Type
- Phone Number
C. Out of State Conversion (Skip if not converting from out of state)
- Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit or ID Card Number
- Select Document Type
- Restriction(s) (if applicable)
- Issue Date
- Expiration Date
D. Required Demographic Information
- Select Gender
- Select Eye Color
- Is the applicant an organ donor?
- Check what applies.
- For more information on organ donation, visit: neds.org.
- Would you like to donate $2 to the Organ and Tissue Donor Registration Fund? χ Yes (to be answered for renewal and replacement transactions only)
- Military Status (documentation is required if checked – visit mass.gov/rmv for acceptable documents)
- Are you an active duty member?
- What military branch?
- If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, do you want the word “VETERAN” printed on your ID?
E. CDL Downgrade (if applicable)
- CDL Downgrade: I understand that my CDL will be downgraded to a Class D, M, or D/M license and I authorize the RMV to process this transaction.
- Applicant signature.
F. Voter Registration
- Do you want to register to vote?
- Check “Yes” if you want to register to vote, or you are changing your name or address and want to be registered to vote with this new information.
- If you answered “Yes,” complete question #2 and read the Affirmation Section below.
- Check “No” if you are currently registered to vote and do not want to change your voter registration.
- Are you a citizen of the United States of America?
- NOTE: If you answered “no” to this question, do not complete question #3. You are not eligible to register to vote at this time.
- Please indicate party enrollment or political designation (check one).
G. Mandatory Questions
- In the past 10 years, have you held any class of license, in any other state, country or jurisdiction?
- If yes, where? (Country/State)
- What credential class?
- What credential number?
- List any current license/permit also:
- Do you have a cognitive, neurologic, physical or any other impairment that may affect your functional ability to operate a motor vehicle safely?
- Are you currently taking any medication that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle?
- Is your license or RIGHT to operate suspended, revoked, canceled, withdrawn, or disqualified here or in another state, country, or jurisdiction?
H. Parent/Guardian Consent for Applicants under the age of 18 (Information and Certification of Person Providing Consent)
- If the person giving consent IS NOT a parent, proper documentation of authority must be shown.
- I hereby certify I am: (check one)
- Parent/Guardian’s Address
- Parent/Guardian’s Signature
I. Certification and Signature of Applicant (application is not complete without signature)
- Sign the form.
- Put the date.
Where to file the Massachusetts Driver’s License Application form?
To submit this completed form with other required additional documentation, it has to be in person through the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. All documents must be originals; photocopies are not accepted.
The other required additional documentation are the following:
- Completed Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit, or ID Card Application (Form LIC 100)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence and date of birth:
- Certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate
- U.S. passport
- Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
- Proof of your MA residency:
- Any RMV-issued document
- Lease or mortgage documents dated within 60 days
- Federal-, state-, or municipal-issued documents, such as first class mail
- A medical statement, credit card statement, or utility bill dated within 60 days
- Proof of your Social Security Number:
- Social Security card
- W-2 form
- Your out-of-state driver’s license (if applicable)
- $30 for Learner’s Permit; $35 for driving test; $50 for Class D driver’s license