What is Form MV82?
Form MV82 is the New York Vehicle Registration Form. This form is required for anyone looking to register a vehicle for personal or commercial use with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.
Can I fill out Form MV82?
You can fill out form MV82 if you are in New York and want to register a vehicle, change the registration of a vehicle, renew a registration, replace lost or damaged items, get a title only, or transfer plates from one vehicle to another.
What do I need to fill out Form MV82?
Depending on your reason for filling out Form MV82, the needs to fill out this form may vary.
Regardless of your needs, you’ll have to provide two things:
- Identification with proof of name and date of birth
- Payment of the fee, either in cash, check, money order, or credit card.
- Note that this fee varies depending on the weight of the vehicle in question.
If you’re registering a vehicle for the first time, then you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of ownership, such as certificate of title, or transferable registration signed over to you.
- Odometer Disclosure Statement OR Damage Disclosure Statement.
- If your title does not contain either an Odometer Disclosure Statement (required for vehicles 10 years old or newer) or a Damage Disclosure Statement (required for vehicles 8 years old or newer) you must complete form MV-103 (Odometer or Damage Disclosure Statement)
- Completed sales tax form (DTF-802, DTF-803, or DTF-804)
- Bill of Sale
- You can use form MV-912 [Vehicle Bill of Sale]
- Lien release (if applicable)
- New York State Insurance Card
If you’re filling out Form MV82 with the purpose of changing the registration or title, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of ownership, such as original title or other proof of ownership
- Proof of change
If you’re filling out Form MV82 with the purpose of replacing lost or damaged registration plates:
- The remaining plates, if one plate is missing
- If your vehicle plates are missing because of a crime, provide a complete Form MV-78B (Report of Lost, Stolen, or Confiscated Motor Vehicle Items) or letter from a police agency to replace your vehicle plates free of charge.
If you’re filling out Form MV82 with the purpose of transferring plates to a different vehicle, you must provide the following:
- Proof of ownership
- This applies to you if the proof of ownership is currently in your name OR the current owner provided authorization using Form MV-95 (Registration Authorization and Co-Registrant Information)
- Existing registration
- New York State Insurance Card
If you’re filling out Form MV82 with the purpose of applying for a title only, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of ownership
- Bill of Sale
- Completed sales tax form (DTF-802, DTF-803, and DTF-804)
- Note that you MUST mail form MV82 to the Title Bureau at the address below if you request a title for any of the following:
- Garageman’s Liens
- Manufactured Homes
- Bonded Vehicles
- Salvage Vehicles
- Address: Title Bureau, NYS Department of Motor Vehicles, 6 Empire State Plaza, NY 12228.
- Note that if you’re required to mail the application to the Title Bureau, you must first visit a DMV office with your sales tax forms to get a sales tax clearance receipt. This receipt must be mailed with your application.
How do I fill out Form MV82?
Ensure that all of your information is verified before attempting to fill out this form. This is a legal document, and thus should be treated and respected as one.
We will be guiding you through the process of accomplishing this form.
This section asks if the vehicle in question will be registered only for personal use. Check the “Yes” or “No” box that corresponds to your answer.
Note that if you answered “Yes” and your vehicle is a pick-up truck with an unladen weight that is a maximum of 6,000 pounds (lbs), is never used for commercial purposes, and has no advertising on any part of the vehicle, you are eligible for passenger plates or commercial plates and will be asked to select which one you would like to avail of.
This section asks if you are registering a vehicle for the first time.
The first question is if you, the registrant, are different from the owner of the vehicle. Select the “Yes” or “No” box that corresponds to your answer
The second question is if there is a co-registrant. Select the “Yes” or “No” box that corresponds to your answer
Note that if you answered “Yes” to either of the two questions, you will be required to complete form MV95 (Registration Authorization or Co-Registrant Information)
This section will require you, the registrant, to input your personal information.
You must first select the box that corresponds to the reason for your filling out Form MV82 whether it be registering your vehicle for the first time, changing registration, renewing registration, replacing lost or damaged plates, acquiring a title only, or transferring plates. You will also be asked to provide the current plate number if applicable.
Under the box asking for your reason, you must input your name following the “last name, first name, middle name” format or your business name. Next to the name you’ve placed, you will be asked to provide your email address.
Below these two boxes, you will be asked to indicate your New York State Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID Number. Next to that, you will be asked to write your date of birth in the format of MM/DD/YYYY. You will then be asked to indicate whether you are a male or a female. Finally, for this line, you will be asked for your telephone or mobile phone number.
The last two lines will ask for your mailing address and residential address (if different from the mailing address).
For the mailing address, you must indicate your street number and name, rural delivery or box number. Remember that this will be indicated on the document. Next to it, you must indicate your apartment number, then your city or town, followed by state, zip code, and county of residence.
You must do the same for your residential address if separate from your mailing address.
This section primarily asks for information regarding the vehicle being registered.
On the first line, you will be asked to provide your vehicle identification number, the year of manufacturing, and your vehicle make or model.
The next line will ask you to indicate the color of your vehicle, its unladen weight, and the power, or the type of fuel your vehicle consumes.
The following line will ask you to write the cylinders, maximum gross weight (For trailers and commercial vehicles), maximum adult seating capacity including the driver, odometer reading in miles, and for commercial vehicles, axles and distance.
The finale line that you must fill up in this form asks you to mark the body type of your vehicle. Please mark the box that corresponds to your vehicle’s body type. The choices include
- Or Other, and please indicate
This section will ask you to disclose whether or not your vehicle has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged to the point where the total cost of repairs amounts to more than 75% of the retail value of the vehicle at the time of loss. Please mark the “Yes” or “No” box that corresponds with your answer.
Note that if you marked “Yes”, the vehicle must have an anti-theft examination before it is registered.
This section will ask questions regarding any modifications done to the vehicle.
You’ll first be asked if the vehicle has undergone any modifications from its original manufacturer specification. Please check the appropriate “Yes” or “No” box corresponding to your answer.
If you answered “Yes” in the previous question, you will be asked to describe the modifications.
The next question for this section asks whether the vehicle was altered to increase the capacity beyond that provided by the manufacturer by method of extended chassis, lengthened wheelbase, or a lengthened seating area. Please check the appropriate “Yes” or “No” box corresponding to your answer.
If you answered “Yes” in the previous question, you will be asked if you have the required Federal Alterer’s Safety Certification (normally found in the door jamb). Please check the appropriate “Yes” or “No” box corresponding to your answer.
The final section of this form is for certification purposes.
To certify that all information indicated on this form is accurate and correct, you will be asked to provide your name and signature. If you are registering for a company, then you will be asked for your name and title.
The second page is a checklist for all the things you need for the purpose of submitting this form. To see this list, please see the section entitled “What do I need to fill out form MV82?”