What is Form VTR-275?
Form VTR-275, Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information, is a form released by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Texas residents who are owners or lienholders of a vehicle use it to request information contained in their motor vehicle record. A government entity may also use it to request vehicle information when performing its functions and for producing statistical reports.
Take note that Form VTR-275 may not be used to replace the Texas Certificate of Title. If your original certificate was lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated, you need to complete Form VTR-34, Application for a Certified Copy of Title.
How to fill out Form VTR-275?
Form VTR-275 is a two-page document that contains several sections. Complete all the required information correctly to avoid any problems with your request.
Access to personal information on vehicle title and registration records is prohibited by the Driver Privacy Protection Act; thus, you must sign Form VTR-275 and submit a copy of your current government-issued photo identification to certify that all the information in the form is true and correct.
Mark the applicable box to determine who’s requesting motor vehicle information:
- I am the current recorded owner or lienholder of the vehicle
- Written authorization is attached from the person(s) listed as the recorded owner, lienholder or previous owner
- My authority to obtain vehicle information is shown as a Permitted Use on page 2
Full Name / Business Name
Enter your full legal name following the Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial format. For a business, enter the Business Name.
Enter your full address, including the City, State, ZIP / Postal Code.
Enter your day phone number.
Enter your email address.
Government Issued Photo Identification
Submit a copy of your current government-issued photo identification. Then enter the Entity Issuing ID and Type, Government Photo ID Number, Expiration Date.
Texas License Plate
Enter your Texas license plate.
Enter the vehicle’s model year.
Enter the vehicle’s make.
Vehicle Identification Number
Enter the vehicle identification number.
Title Document Number
Enter the title document number.
Mark the applicable box to determine the motor vehicle information you are requesting:
- Title history
- Certified title history
- Title and registration verification of a vehicle record (current or expired)
- Certified title and registration verification of a vehicle record – for court use
- Duplicate registration receipt for current registration period
- Other — explain the need for the request.
Name of Applicant
Enter your full legal name.
Enter the date you signed the form.
Signature of Applicant
Enter your signature to certify the request.
Sign or enter your initials on the applicable lines. Then, check the applicable box to determine the use of the requested information.
- A governmental entity, including law enforcement
- A government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions.
- A private person or entity acting on behalf of a government agency in carrying out the functions of the agency.
- Use in connection with one of the following
- Motor vehicle safety or motor vehicle operator safety.
- Motor vehicle emissions.
- Motor vehicle theft.
- Motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories.
- Performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts or motor vehicle dealers.
- Motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research.
- Removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of a motor vehicle manufacturer to carry out the purposes of the Automobile Information Disclosure Act, 15 U.S.C. §1231 et seq.; 49 U.S.C. Chapters 301, 305, 323, 325, 327, 329, and 331; the Anti Car Theft Act of 1992, 18 U.S.C. §§553, 981, 982, 2119, 2312, 2313, and 2322, 19 U.S.C. §§1646b and 1646c, and 42 U.S.C. §3750a et seq., all as amended; the Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. §7401 et seq., as amended.
- Use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its authorized agent, but only to verify accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual; and if the information is not correct, to obtain the correct information for the sole purpose of preventing fraud by, pursuing a legal remedy against or recovering on a debt or security interest against the individual.
- In conjunction with a civil, criminal, administrative or arbitral proceeding in any court or government agency or before any self-regulatory body. Including service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, execution or enforcement of a judgment or order, or under an order of any court.
- For child support enforcement under Chapter 231, Family Code.
- Use in research or in producing statistical reports, but only if the personal information is not published, disclosed, or used to contact any individual.
- Use by an insurer or insurance support organization, a self-insured entity or as its authorized agent of the entity in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting.
- Use in providing notice to an owner of a towed or impounded vehicle.
- Use by a licensed private investigation agency or licensed security service authorized to use the information for a purpose listed.
- Use by an employer or its agent or insurer of the employer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver license that is required under 49 U.S.C., Chapter 313.
- Use in connection with the operation of a private toll transportation facility.
How much does it cost to request motor vehicle information?
The fees depend on the type of request:
- Title history — $5.75
- Certified title history — $6.75
- Title and registration verification of a vehicle record (current or expired) — $2.30
- Certified title and registration verification of a vehicle record – for court use — $3.30
- Duplicate registration receipt for current registration period — $2.00
- Other — the fees vary.