What is the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information form?
The Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information or Form VTR-275 is a form by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
If you are a Texas resident who is an owner or lienholder of a vehicle, you can use the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information form to request information contained in your motor vehicle record.
A government entity may also use the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information to obtain vehicle information when performing its functions and for producing statistical reports.
If your original certificate was lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated, you need to complete Form VTR-34, Application for a Certified Copy of Title, instead of the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information form.
How to fill out the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information form?
The request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information form is a two-page document that contains several sections. The latest version was issued on August 1, 2018.
Complete all the required information correctly to avoid any problems with your request.
This section requires your personal information to locate your records properly.
Full Name / Business Name
Enter your full legal name following the Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial format. For a business, enter the Business Name.
Enter your full address, including the City, State, ZIP / Postal Code.
Enter your day phone number.
Enter your email address.
Government Issued Photo Identification
You need to submit a government-issued photo identification to verify your identity. This section asks for the details of the identification you will submit.
Submit a copy of your current government-issued photo identification. Then enter the Entity Issuing ID and Type, Government Photo ID Number, Expiration Date.
This section requires vehicle-related information.
Texas License Plate
Enter your Texas license plate.
Enter the vehicle’s model year.
Enter the vehicle’s make.
Vehicle Identification Number
Enter the vehicle identification number.
Title Document Number
Enter the title document number.
This section contains a list of reasons for using the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Infomation form.
Mark the applicable box to determine the motor vehicle information you are requesting:
- Title history
- Certified title history
- Title and registration verification of a vehicle record (current or expired)
- Certified title and registration verification of a vehicle record – for court use
- Duplicate registration receipt for current registration period
- Other — Explain the need for the request by attaching documentation explaining the reason for the request.
This section allows you to confirm that all the statements you made on the form are true and correct.
Name of Applicant
Enter your full legal name.
Enter the date you signed the form.
Signature of Applicant
Enter your signature to certify the request.
This section lets you determine the status that authorizes a person or entity to obtain your vehicle information.
Mark the applicable box to determine who’s requesting motor vehicle information. Select from the following:
- I am the current recorded owner or lienholder of the vehicle;
- Written authorization is attached from the person(s) listed as the recorded owner, lienholder or previous owner; or
- My authority to obtain vehicle information is shown as a Permitted Use noted below. I understand the requested information is strictly limited to:
(Sign or enter your initials on the applicable lines. Then, check the applicable box to determine the use of the requested information)
- A governmental entity, including law enforcement
- A government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions.
- A private person or entity acting on behalf of a government agency in carrying out the functions of the agency.
- Use in connection with one of the following
- Motor vehicle safety or motor vehicle operator safety.
- Motor vehicle emissions.
- Motor vehicle theft.
- Motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories.
- Performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts or motor vehicle dealers.
- Motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research.
- Removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of a motor vehicle manufacturer to carry out the purposes of the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1992, the Anti Car Theft Act of 1992, and the Clean Air Act.
- For child support enforcement.
- Enforcement by the Texas Workforce Commission.
- Voter registration or the administration of elections by the secretary of state.
- Use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its authorized agent, but only to verify accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual; and if the information is not correct, to obtain the correct information for the sole purpose of preventing fraud by, pursuing a legal remedy against or recovering on a debt or security interest against the individual. (Requestor must submit the information to be verified against the department’s records.)
- In conjunction with a civil, criminal, administrative or arbitral proceeding in any court or government agency or before any self-regulatory body. Including service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, execution or enforcement of a judgment or order, or under an order of any court. (Requestor must submit proof of legal proceeding or proof of anticipated proceeding.)
- Use in research or in producing statistical reports, but only if the personal information is not published, disclosed, or used to contact any individual.
- Use by an insurer or insurance support organization, a self-insured entity or as its authorized agent of the entity in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting. (Requestor must submit proof of employment in a research occupation.)
- Use by an insurer or insurance support organization, a self-insured entity or as an authorized agent of the entity in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting. (Requestor must submit a license number provided by the Texas Department of Insurance or out-of-state equivalent, a license number the insurance support organization is working under, or proof of self-insurance. Then, enter the License Number.)
- Use in providing notice to an owner of a towed or impounded vehicle. (Requestor must submit a license number provided by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation or out-of-state equivalent. Then, enter the License Number.)
- Use by a licensed private investigation agency or licensed security service authorized to use the information for a permitted purpose. (Requestor must submit a license number provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety or out-of-state equivalent. Then, enter the License Number.)
- Use in connection with the operation of a private toll transportation facility. (Requestor must submit documentation to relate the requested personal information with operation of a private toll transportation facility.)
- Use by a consumer reporting agency, as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, for a purpose permitted under that Act. (Requestor must submit documentation on official letterhead indicating a permitted use for personal information as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.)
How much does it cost to request motor vehicle information?
The fees depend on the type of request:
- Title history — $5.75
- Certified title history — $6.75
- Title and registration verification of a vehicle record (current or expired) — $2.30
- Certified title and registration verification of a vehicle record – for court use — $3.30
- Duplicate registration receipt for current registration period — $2.00
- Other — The fees vary, you will be contacted with the fee total.