Form was filled-up and downloaded 1,219 times already

Fillable Form Affidavit of Name Change

An Affidavit of Name Change is a sworn statement used to verify the identity of a person who has changed his or her name but has not made it official.


What is an Affidavit of Name Change?

An Affidavit of Name Change is a sworn statement used to verify and testify the identity of a person who has changed his or her legal name but has not made it official to all existing legal or non-legal documents and records.

What is the purpose of an Affidavit of Name Change?

There are many challenges and life events that you might consider when changing your name legally. The procedure of changing your name generally requires a petition for the implementation of your new name. Here are some reasons why an individual changes his or her name:

Dislike of the given name

A name change request can be granted because the person simply doesn’t like his or her given name. For some reason, names are spelled wrong and typically mispronounced.


Normally, the wife will be taking his husband’s surname upon marriage and it will carry on as the family name when they have children.

Husband takes wife’s surname upon marriage

This is legally new and becoming popular for a husband to take his lawful wife’s last name. It is not yet applicable to all states but has been implemented in California, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New York, and North Dakota. The changing of name from the said states has the same process as when a wife takes his husband’s surname upon marriage.

Hyphenating surnames

Another popular legal change name is combining a married couple’s surname or simply hyphenating the two last names to form a new joint surname.


If a man or woman takes his spouse’s surname upon marriage, he or she may decide to revert to his or her original last name upon separation or divorce paper.

Child’s surname

A parent can change his or her child’s surname when his or her spouse neglects their child.

Gender identity

Oftentimes, transgenders change their names to reflect their identity. It applies to the rest of the members of the LGBTQ+ community who wish to change their names.

Same-sex partners

Same-sex marriage may not be legal in all states, but partners can share a surname for financial and legal transactions.

Religious reason

An individual can change his or her name to honor a religious deity.

How to fill out an Affidavit of Name Change?


Enter the state where you live.


Enter the county.


Enter your original legal name.


Enter your complete address.

Line 1

Enter your original name. This shows that your original name has been recorded in all your legal or non-legal documents, records, and other relevant documents.

Line 2

Enter your new name to replace your previous name. Then, enter your original name.

Line 3

Enter your new name to confirm that is correctly spelled and true.

Line 4

Enter your new name. It declares that your new name shall be known and recognized for all future purposes in the government, semi-government, and non-government sectors.

Line 5

This confirms that you are administering the legalization of your new name and must be recognized in your legal or non-legal documents and records.


Ensure that you provided the correct information for changing your name.

Enter your original name. Sign and date this affidavit.


Give the form to your local notary office and have them legally complete your affidavit of change name.

What are the steps to legally change your name?

  1. File a petition to change your name by filling out a name change form, an order that states the reason for changing your name, and a decree to legally change your name.

  1. Submit the forms to the court clerk and pay your state’s filing fee.

  1. A judge will review your application for changing your name whether to grant your request or not.

  1. Expect that some states require a formal advertisement before using your new name. It can be done by posting a notice in the local newspaper. It is required by law to show a valid reason for a change of name to avoid fraudulent activity.

  1. Introduce and use your new name.

What documents or records do you need to update after a name change?

To avoid complications with your possessions, It is important to update all your legal documents and records after you have changed your name. You may refer to the following example:

  • Social security number
  • Driver’s license
  • Health cards
  • Bank information
  • Passport
  • Insurance
  • Bills and utilities
  • Properties and titles
  • Last will and testament
  • Power of attorney

How much does it cost when you change your name?

A legal name change is expensive and costs hundreds of dollars. However, the cost of changing your name depends on where you live, the type of name change, and the laws in your state. But you may expect to pay from $100 to $400 or more.

Here some examples of typical fees to pay when processing a name change:

  • Filing a petition in the court.
  • Hiring an attorney, if someone is against your change name.
  • Publishing a formal advertisement in the newspaper for your cause.
  • Updating the name on your legal documents, such as a birth certificate.

What are the exceptions for a name change?

People have reasonable situations to change their name but there are exceptions that the court doesn’t allow, including the following:

  • Changing of name to escape debt liability.
  • Changing of name to escape a crime or legal charges.
  • Changing of name to deceive other people’s identity.
  • Changing of name with the intention to discriminate against some people.
  • Choosing a confusing name that includes numerals and punctuations.

The change of name will not be allowed if you intend to hide your true identity and escape a criminal offense. However, a legal change in name is only done if an individual has a valid reason.

Keywords: affidavit of name change affidavit of name change form affidavit of name change template affidavit of name change online fillable affidavit of name change affidavit of name change sample

Are you looking for another form or document?