What is Form I-765?
Form I-765, or officially Application for Employment Authorization, is a Department of Homeland Security — U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) form that foreign nationals who are in the U.S. and temporarily working use to request employment authorization and obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or work permit.
Foreign nationals in the U.S. whose immigration status allows them to work without restrictions may also use Form I-765 to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) and card.
The EAD is the document, in the form of a card, issued to an individual as proof that he or she is authorized to work in the U.S. These are the categories of an EAD:
- Initial EAD — This document is issued to an eligible applicant for the first time under a specific eligibility category.
- Renewal EAD — This document is issued to an eligible applicant after the expiration of his or her initial or other renewal EAD under the same category.
- Replacement EAD — This document is issued to an eligible applicant when the previously issued EAD was lost, stolen, damaged, or contains errors.
You may file Form I-765 if you meet one of any eligibility categories:
- Asylee or Refugee Categories
- Paroled as a Refugee
- Asylee (Granted Asylum)
- Granted Withholding of Deportation or Removal
- Pending Asylum and Withholding of Removal Applicants and Applicants for Pending Asylum under the ABC Settlement Agreement
- Nationality Categories
- Citizen of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, or Palau
- Deferred Enforced Departure (DED)
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
- Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA)
- Dependent of TECRO E-1 Nonimmigrant
- Foreign Students Categories
- F-1 Student Seeking Optional Practical Training (OPT) in a Position Directly Related to Major Area of Study, including Pre-completion OPT, Post-completion OPT, 24-month extension for STEM students, F-1 student offered off-campus employment under the Sponsorship of Qualifying International Organization, F-1 student seeking off-campus employment due to severe economic hardship, J-2 spouse or minor child of an exchange visitor, and M-1 student seeking post-completion OPT after completing studies.
- Eligible dependents of employees of diplomatic missions, international organizations or NATO
- Dependent of A-1 or A-2 foreign government officials
- Dependent of G-1, G-3, or G-4 nonimmigrant
- Dependent of NATOA-1 through NATO-6
- Employment-Based Nonimmigrant Categories
- B-1 nonimmigrant who is the personal or domestic servant of a nonimmigrant employer
- B-2 nonimmigrant domestic servant of a U.S. citizen
- B-1 nonimmigrant employed by a foreign airline
- Spouse of an E-1 treaty trader, E-2 treaty investor, or E-3 specialty occupation professional from Australia
- Spouse of an L-1 intracompany transferee
- Spouse of an E-2 Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands Investor
- Spouse of an H-1B nonimmigrant
- The principal beneficiary of an approved employment-based immigrant petition facing compelling circumstances
- Spouses or unmarried children of a principal beneficiary of an approved employment-based immigrant
- Family-Based Nonimmigrant Categories
- K-1 nonimmigrant fiancé of U.S. citizen or K-2 dependent
- K-3 nonimmigrant spouse of a U.S. citizen or K-4 dependent
- Family United Program
- LIFE Family Unity
- V-1, V-2, or V-3 nonimmigrant
- Adjustment of status categories
- Adjustment of the applicant under section 245
- Registry applicant based on continuous residence since January 1, 1972
- Renewal EAD for National Interest Waiver Physicians
How to Fill Out Form I-765?
Form I-765 is a seven-page document that requires important information about you, including your personal information and the reason for your application. Answer all questions fully and accurately. For questions that do not apply to you, you may write “NA” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question is zero or none, you may write “None” unless otherwise directed.
Part 1. Reason for Applying
Items 1a to 1c
Select the box that describes your application.
Part 2. Information About You
Items 1a to 1c
Provide your full legal name.
Items 2a to 4c
Provide all the names you have ever used.
Items 5a to 6
Provide your U.S. mailing address and answer if your mailing address is the same as your physical address.
Items 7a to 7d
If your answer to Item 6 is “No,” provide your U.S. physical address.
Provide your Alien Registration Number (A-Number) if applicable.
Provide your USCIS Online Account Number, if applicable.
Select your gender.
Select your marital status.
Select “Yes” if you have previously filed Form I-765; “No” if otherwise.
Select “Yes” if the Social Security Administration (SSA) ever officially issued a Social Security card to you; “No” if otherwise.
Provide your SSN, if known.
Select “Yes” if you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security card; “No” if otherwise.
Authorize the disclosure of information from this application to the SSA as required for the purpose of assigning you an SSN and issuing you a Social Security card by selecting “Yes.” Select “No” if you do not want to authorize the disclosure of your information.
Items 16a to 17b
Provide the name of your parents.
Items 18a to 18b
Provide your country or countries of citizenship or nationality.
Items 19a to 20
Provide your place of birth.
Items 21a to 26
Provide information about your last arrival in the United States.
Items 27 to 31b
Provide information about your eligibility category.
Part 3. Applicant’s Statement, Contact Information, Declaration, Certification, and Signature
Indicate whether you read the information on the application yourself or if another individual interpreted it for you.
Part 4. Interpreter’s Contact Information, Certification, and Signature
Answer the items in this section if you used an interpreter.
Part 5. Contact Information, Declaration, and Signature of the Person Preparing this Application, If Other Than the Applicant
Answer the items in this section if you used a preparer.
Part 6. Additional Information
Use this section if you need extra space to provide any additional information.