What is the Oregon Driver's License Application form?
Form 735-173, Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card, or the Oregon Driver's License Application formis a legal form that residents of the State of Oregon use to apply for a driver's license. Residents may also use the form to renew their license or get a replacement. It is illegal to drive in Oregon without a valid driver's license.
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or Oregon Department of Transportation requires the Oregon Driver's License Application formto be filled out when applying for a license. The form must be submittedalong with other required additional documents.
- In the State of Oregon, only one identification document is issued to each resident.
- They cannot have an identification card and a driver’s license at the same time.
- The Oregon State identification card is like a driver’s license without providing the owner driving privileges.
Proof of identity and residency is also required. How to know if you are a resident?
- You are a resident if you do any of the following:
- register to vote in this state
- receive payments, financial aid, or other public welfare benefits from the state or a local government
- get any state license at the resident rate.
- pay in-state tuition fees as a student.
- intend to live in this state for more than six months in any one year
If the applicant is temporarily residing in the U.S, they will get a limited-term license. Limited-term licenses expire on the same date as the authorized length of stay, or in 1 year if the stay is indefinite.
The license is valid for eight years and residents have to complete again the Oregon Driver's License Applicationform to renew them.
It is required that license holdersuse the Oregon Driver’s License Application form as well to obtain an updated licensein case there were changes to theirpersonal information due to legal reasons.
Residents of the state must also immediately replace their driver's licenses or ID cards if these documents have been lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed by submitting the form.
In order to drive, one must be 15 years of age or older. For those who are below 18 years old, an instruction permit must be issued. As for those above 18 years old a driver’s license is required.
- To be issued an instruction permit, the applicant must:
- be at least 15-1/2 years old (or 15 years old if enrolled in an approved driver-training course)
- pass the knowledge test (unless enrolled in an approved driver-training course)
- complete the vision and medical screenings
- pay an application/examination fee. If you are under 18, they must also bring their parent or guardian with them to the licensing office when they apply.
- They must show proof of identity and proof of relationship to the applicant and must also sign a Parental Authorization Affidavit.
- When the last names are different, the Department of Licensing requires more documents proving the relationship.
- The permit is valid for one year and they can renew it.
To get a standard driver license, the applicant must:
- be at least 18 years old.
- show acceptable proof of identity and age
- provide their Social Security number, which will be verified when they apply for a driver's license (42 USC 405 and 666(a) (13), RCW 26.23.150).
- If the applicant has not been issued a number, they can sign a Social Security Number Declaration.
- show acceptable proof of Washington State residence.
- pay an application/examination fee.
- pass the medical and vision screenings, the knowledge test, and the driving test.
- turn in any other driver licenses.
- not have a currently suspended, revoked, or canceled driving privilege.
- pay the licensing fee.
How to fill out the Oregon Driver's License Application form?
Enter all the required information correctly. Deliberately providingany false information will result in penalties, imprisonment, or both.Double-check all provided information before submitting the form toavoid errors and delays with your application.
1. The applicant has to determine the purpose of the application and check the box whether it is an original, renewal or replacement application.
2. Check the box of the type of card required.
3. Applicant information.
- The applicant has to enter their personal information.
- They must provide their:
- Full name – Last Name, First Name, then Middle Name
- Social Security Number
- Oregon driver or ID number
- Date of Birth – Month/Date/Year
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- Applicant’s Place of Birth (City & State or Country)
- Telephone Number
- Check the box, whether you want your license to show that you are an anatomical donor.
- Height – in feet and inches
- Weight – in pounds
- Encircle the sex.
- Hair Color
- Eye Color
- The filer should provide their current residence address. If their mailing address is different from the address of residence, it should be indicated as well.
- If the applicant is a current or previous military service, check the box to authorize the DMV to send the name and address to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (ODVA) to receive benefit information.
4. Driving History
- This section contains several questions that the applicant has to answer regarding their previous driver's license.
- Check the corresponding box:
- If the applicant had a driver license from another state, U.S. territory, or country.
- If the current driver’s license is suspended, canceled, or revoked.
- List other names used on a driver’s license or an ID card.
5. Medical Fitness (This section is not required for an Identification Card.)
- The answers provided allow the DMV to determine the eligibility of an applicant for a driving privilege.
- The filer has to answer these questions "Yes" or "No
- Declare any physical or mental condition or impairments that could affect the ability to drive safely, if there are any.
- Declare alcohol, inhalants or controlled substances that could affect the ability to drive safely, if there are any.
6. Applicant Certification
- The applicant, signing the form, should certify that all information provided is correct.
- If the applicant is under 18 years of age, the form should be signed by their mother, father, or legal guardian.
- The applicant should also meet school enrollment requirements under ORS 807.066 or has a diploma or GED (proof of diploma or GED is required).
The area below the Applicant Certification section, should not be filled out. It is for the DMV Office use only.
Where to file the Oregon Driver's License Application form?
To submit this completed form with other required additional documentation, it has to be in person through a DMV division office.