What is the South Carolina Driver License Application form?
Use the South Carolina Driver License Application form to apply for a driver’s license, permit, or ID card with the SCDMV. This form can also be used for renewal, duplicate, and correction requests.
What you’ll need to get your South Carolina DMV driver license are the following:
- Birth certificate
- Social security card
- Two proof of address
- Insurance information
- Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (SCDMV Form 447-NC)
- All eight-year licenses have a $25 fee.
If you are under 17, there are special requirements you must meet to apply for a Conditional Provisional or Special Restricted driver’s license, you must:
- Have an individual listed on the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) sign your application.
- Practice driving with a licensed individual listed on the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) for at least 40 hours, including 10 hours during darkness.
- Complete a driver’s education course.
- Hold a beginner’s permit for at least 180 days.
- Be currently enrolled in school.
- Conform to SC attendance laws and regulations.
- Not be suspended or expelled from school
South Carolina DMV Driver License: What You will Do
Step 1: Beginner’s Permit - If you have never had a driver’s license, you must begin with a beginner’s permit.
You must be at least 15 years old.
You must pass the vision and knowledge test.
Step 2: Pass the off-road maneuvers test (basic skills)
Step 3: Schedule an appointment and Pass the road test
Step 4: Picture is taken
How to fill out the South Carolina Driver License Application form?
Form 447 – NC is a legal document to be completed in its entirety.
Step 1 – Type of Card
- What type of card do you want?
- Check the box for the type of card you want (BP, ID, DL or moped).
- Do you want it to be a REAL ID Card? (Check one)
Step 2 – Identification
Enter the following information.
- Beginner’s Permit, Driver’s License, or ID Number
- If applying for an original SC card, leave this field blank and the Customer Service Representative will complete it.
- Customer Number
- If not known CSR will enter it.
- Last Name, First Name, Middle Name, Suffix
- All suffixes except for “Sr” must have supporting documents.
- Residence Address
- Must be your current address of residence and cannot be a Post Office Box.
- This is the address that the SCDMV will send mail to unless a specified or temporary mailing address is on file.
- City or Town
- Zip Code
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Eye Color
- Black, blue, brown, dichromatic (two different eye colors), gray, green, hazel, maroon, pink, or unknown.
Step 3 – Optional
Select what you like to be designated as so it reflects on your card.
Step 4 – Organ and Tissue Donation
If you are currently registered, you must check YES to have a red heart reprinted on your license.
Step 5 – Voter Registration
Do you want to register to vote or update your address with the Country Registration Board?
Step 6 – Questions
- Are you a resident of South Carolina?
- Are you a citizen of the United States?
- Do you now have or have you ever had a South Carolina identification card, beginner’s permit, driver’s license, or moped license? If yes, list information from last time issued.
- Do you now have or have you ever had an identification card, beginner’s permit, driver’s license, or moped license from another state or country? If yes, list information from last time issued.
- Is your beginner’s permit, driver’s license, moped license, or privilege to drive suspended, cancelled, revoked or disqualified in any state? If yes, where?
- Have you recently surrendered your beginner’s permit, driver’s license, or moped license in court or to a law enforcement officer? If yes, when?
- In the past 12 months, have you experienced a loss of consciousness, muscular control or seizure?
- In the past six months, have you experienced a heart attack or heart surgery?
- Have you had a stroke and not recovered sufficiently to safely operate a motor vehicle at this time?
- Are you a habitual user of alcohol or any other drug to a degree which prevents you from safely operating a motor vehicle at this time?
- Do you have any mental or physical condition preventing you from safely operating a motor vehicle at this time? If yes, please list condition(s):
- Has your doctor recommended you not drive or placed restrictions on your driving at this time? If yes, what are the restrictions?
Step 7 – Automobile Insurance Information
Check and complete the statement that applies to you.
Step 8 – Consent for Minor
- This section must be completed for all customers under the age of 18.
- Have an adult sign this section.
- Relationship to Minor
- Printed Name
- ID/DL Number
- Phone Number
Step 9 – Certification
Read the statement, then print your name, sign, and enter the date of application.
Where to file the South Carolina Driver License Application?
After completing the form make sure all the above information is true then, you may send it to the address below.
DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
10311 WILSON BOULEVARD BUILDING C
BLYTHEWOOD, SOUTH CAROLINA 29016