What is the Virginia Change of Address Form?
The Virginia Change of Address Form is issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and is used by eligible applicants to notify the DMV of any change in the applicant’s address for their Virginia driver's license.
You must notify the DMV and provide the street address of your new residence within 30 days of changing your address. You may not enter a post office box or business address. The address that you will enter must also be located in Virginia.
For your driver’s license or identification card, you may provide an alternate address if you do not want your residence address to appear on it.
Using this form, you may also obtain a revised vehicle registration card.
How to Fill Out the Virginia Change of Address Form?
Enter your customer number as it appears on your driver’s license or identification card.
Customer Birth Date
Enter your date of birth.
Full Legal Name
Provide your whole name including middle name and suffix.
Reason for Address Change
If you moved, select “MOVED”.
If there’s a typographical error or you have a new 911 address, select “CORRECTION”.
Address Field Effective Date
Provide the date your address was your official address.
New Residence/Home Address
Street Address (No P.O. Box)
Provide the new street address of your new residential address.
Provide the city of your new residential address.
Provide the state where your new residential address is located.
Provide the city or County in which you live.
Enter the country in which you live.
Vehicle Registration Mailing Address
Use this section if you own a vehicle that is not located at your residence address and you want DMV to mail the notice to an address different from what you entered in the previous fields or if you want to notify DMV of a vehicle that is garaged somewhere other than where you live.
Enter the model of the vehicle being registered.
Provide the title number.
Last Four Digits Of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Enter the last four digits of your VIN.
Enter the mailing address where you want the notice to be mailed.
Provide the city where you want the notice to be mailed.
Provide the state where you want the notice to be mailed.
Provide the zip code of where you want the notice to be mailed.
Provide the country where you want the notice to be mailed.
Enter the city, county, or town where your vehicle is located.
Date Vehicle First Located Here
Provide the date your vehicle was first located in the address you’ve entered.
If you will register more than two vehicles, use the reverse side of the form and follow the instructions above for the same fields.
Provide your signature on the space provided.
Enter the date you signed and completed the form.
Daytime Telephone Number
Enter your daytime telephone number.
Upon completion of the form, mail it along with other requirements to:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269
- You may choose to change your address online through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles website or by calling the DMV at (804) 497-7100.
- If you want to change your address in person, you may visit any DMV customer service center. You will need to bring along the following documentation: proof of identity, proof of legal presence in the U.S., proof of Virginia residency (2 documents required), proof of social security number, and current and valid driver’s license from your previous state, if applicable.
- If you are changing to an out-of-state address, your driver’s license or photo ID card may be canceled. However, if you are an active-duty military personnel or a Virginia resident employed outside of Virginia, then you are exempted from this cancellation.
- If you change from an out-of-state address to a Virginia address, you have to prove legal presence.
- All the documents that you will present must be originals and all documents must be verifiable with the issuing entity. Photocopies will not be accepted. DMV will not accept a document as proof of identity, residency, or social security number because there is a possibility that it has been altered, fraudulently obtained, or forged.
- Falsifying information is a criminal offense. Make sure to fill in only factual information.
- There is no fee for an update to your Virginia address, but if you want replacement documents you’ll need to pay a fee.
- If you’re moving from Virginia to another state, you do not have to return your Virginia plate, however, you may do so by mailing it to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 27412, Richmond, VA 23269.
- If you’re moving from Virginia to another state and you don’t have a registered car, there is no need to notify the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
- If you’re moving to Virginia from another state, you have to get a new driver’s license and this may be done in person only by visiting the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles office.
- If your name on your proof of identity documents does not match the name on your current driver’s license, bring along proof of name change to avoid inconvenience.
- You may check the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles website for other forms that will be beneficial to you as a Virginia resident.